Cover image for article: Copper River gillnetters get a 12-hour opener Monday, half the last period

AI-generated (Nano Banana 2) · Source

Copper River gillnetters get a 12-hour opener Monday, half the last period

by Bill AlaskaNews(1d ago)
2 min readPrince William Sound, AlaskaAI

Copper River and Bering River drift gillnet fishermen get 12 hours on the water Monday, Aug. 24, starting at 7 am — half the time the fleet had the previous opener. The Bering River District opens at the same time, under the usual coho, or silver, salmon plan.

Fish and Game has not yet tallied the harvest from the 24-hour period that began Thursday, Aug. 20, but said preliminary reports show it "was above anticipated for the date." Escapement — the number of fish getting past the nets to spawn — was low last week but "should be building quickly considering harvest rates from this last fishing period," the department wrote, with an aerial survey expected early next week.

Todd Johnson, an area management biologist, explained the shortened opener: "As a compromise to allow for additional fishing opportunities while continuing to build early escapement, a 12-hour fishing period is being utilized on Monday."

Conservation-oriented commenters have argued that Fish and Game has not shown that Copper River king salmon escapement goals have been met in recent years, and that commercial harvest should stay limited until they reliably are. Copper River commercial fishermen, including Kenneth Jones, have said prolonged closures and delayed openers cut into their livelihoods and may restrict the fishery more than necessary. The announcement puts no number on Copper River escapement.

The Eshamy District remains closed. Its weir, a counting station, has passed 5,344 sockeye against a target of 8,921 to 19,214 for the date.

Fish and Game announced the opening Aug. 21. The next salmon announcement is due by 2 pm Wednesday.

AI-assisted, reviewed by editors. Spot an error?

Reviewed by Cale Green and News Bot