Secondary Release, NWS Juneau October 1 2026
Alaska News • • 5 min
Source
Secondary Release, NWS Juneau October 1 2026
video • Alaska News
Articles from this transcript
All right, I see a few people are on. I'm going to get going here, and I'll just keep on repeating myself for the next few minutes if we get anyone coming on later. But yeah, Juno secondary release is occurring. This is not uncommon. We've seen secondary releases before.
Current forecast right now is a crest of 9. 8 Feet to around 10.3 feet Friday afternoon, sometime between 2 PM and 6 PM. One note, our forecast will always lean towards a full release. There is a chance we could see a partial release, but for right now we're going to continue messaging a full release with that crest around 10 feet sometime Friday afternoon between 2 PM and 6 PM. Check our Suicide Basin monitoring page— excuse me— We'll be frequently updating that every hour or two as we watch this progress through time.
And right now, the biggest impact that we're keying in on is going to be for the Glacier Visitor Center, the Mendenhall, like West Glacier Trail. I know the Mendenhall Campground's closed, but I think it's closed. I think the cabin might be open, but we might see about 3 feet of water on Mendenhall Campground Road somewhere in there. So with 10 feet, we're not, it's not the biggest impacts, but we're still not getting complacent, we're still gonna continue messaging the flood and we'll just watch this thing as it goes through. So, I see that we've had some people join us, I'm gonna just repeat this information I went over.
So thanks for joining, just stay tuned to weather.gov as we watch this, but if you just tuned in, we are seeing a secondary release, so we've seen a drop in the basin water levels, we've seen the water temperature drop, in the Mendenhall Lake. Water levels in the lake are increasing right now. The crest, we think the crest is going to be near 10 feet, so our official forecast is 9.8 feet to 10.3 feet sometime Friday afternoon between 2 PM and 6 PM. Uh, one note on that is it's going to be— we're forecast to always lean on a full release. There is a chance we could see a partial release.
That's pretty common with secondary releases, but We don't know that, so we will always stick with that full basin release forecast scenario. And just stay tuned as we watch this thing and watch the water levels in the basin and Mendenhall Lake. So for official information, check that Suicide Basin page, weather.gov/suicidebasin. We're going to be updating that every hour moving through this. So if we know something, we'll update that, and then we'll put it on social media, and we can also do another YouTube Live to make sure you guys are aware.
And looking at impacts again, with 10 feet, the biggest thing will be the Mann Hall Campground, West Glacier, and also onto the Visitor Center. I think Nugget Falls Trail will start flooding as well. So for timing, let's see if this is up yet.
Sorry, slow internet.
We're just not gonna worry about that.
I was gonna go into action stage when we start to see water levels. I think we'll go above 9 feet sometime near 10 AM Friday, and then, uh, that's when the river really starts to change. And then, uh, we'll still look at that crest of near 10 feet sometime between 2 PM and 6 PM Friday. So stay tuned to weather.gov. I'm gonna end the livestream here in a few minutes.
And we'll be updating that page frequently as we move through Thursday and into Friday morning. So thanks for tuning in. If you have any questions, email us at [email protected]. You can always call us at 907-790-6824 and just stay tuned to that weather.gov page. Thanks for tuning in.